[mrtg-developers] Patch for service support on Vista/Server 2008 (possibly XP)

LeQuack david.sedlar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 06:58:20 CET 2008

I've written a smallish patch for the service handling of Windows Server
2008/Vista.
Since I tend to run things as services on our company server running Windows
2008 I used sc.exe native windows tool for creating a service (easier than
srvany). All went well but the service failed to start, stating timeout
error. So I narrowed it down to the service manager return calls, since the
service manager did not get any feedback as to when the service entered the
running state. The patch also applies to stopping the service and the same
timeout errors.

It relies on Win32::Daemon package (Info here:
http://search.cpan.org/~daveroth/Win32-Scheduler_v20000702/lib/Win32/Scheduler.PM
http://search.cpan.org/~daveroth/Win32-Scheduler_v20000702/lib/Win32/Scheduler.PM
), but the package is only required when running in daemon mode and only if
the operating system is of NT (Windows) type. But since not everyone who
runs this in daemon mode wants to run it as a service (and therefore install
the Win32::Daemon package), I've added the --service option (Also
RunAsService: Yes in the .cfg file) as a condition as well.

Hopefully this will help some folks in the future if it gets implemented.

Here's the patch:
Diff Patches: http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1402041/mrtg.patch mrtg.patch
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1402041/MRTG_lib.patch MRTG_lib.patch

Files:  http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1402041/mrtg mrtg
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1402041/MRTG_lib.pm MRTG_lib.pm

If you have any comments don't hesitate to write.

Regards,
David.