[mrtg-developers] Method of retrieving Bits per sec (MRTG ref)

S Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 17 21:53:58 CET 2010

MRTG obtains this data by reading the ifInOctets and ifOutOctets values in the IF-MIB via SNMP at 5min intervals, calculating the difference (taking into account possible counter wrap)  and dividing by the time interval, then multiplying by 8 to get bits/sec.  This is in the standard MIB.  If the interface is a high-speed interface (>=100Mbps) and the device supports it, then the MIB-2 isused instead and the h64bit counters ifHCInOctets and ifHCOutOctets are used instead (to prevent counter wrap from causing problems).

Steve