[mrtg-developers] Method of retrieving Bits per sec (MRTG ref)

S Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Mar 29 23:38:41 CEST 2010

A normal MRTG graph will have two variables (normally shown as one blue line and one green area) - one for Incoming and one for Outgoing.

Bits/sec is 8 * [(ifInOctetsVal2 - ifInOctetsVal1)/(T2-T1)], however RRDTool also does 'data time window normalisation' which is a bit too complex to fully describe here and uses averages to make T1 and T2 set to the 5-min time window boundary.

Steve