[mrtg-developers] Running with rrdcached

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Oct 18 06:12:23 CEST 2010

I've been running MRTG with rrdcached, and just had rrdcached lock up (out of memory - seems to have a memory leak somewhere).  This causes MRTG (in daemon mode) to fail all updates.

Fine; I restart rrdcached and expect it all to work - but it doesn't.  Seems that once MRTG has failed to connect to rrdcached once, it never tries again until you restart.

Should MRTG die when a remote update fails?  Or should it re-attempt connection to rrdcached?  If so, I'm not sure how, as the RRDs Perl module seems to be the bit to blame for this.

Thoughts?

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead