[mrtg-developers] Making MRTG work with rrdcached

Steve Shipway steve at steveshipway.org
Wed Sep 15 00:51:58 CEST 2010

Is anyone currently working on making MRTG 2.16.x work correctly with
rrdcached (RRDTool 1.4.x)?

Currently (MRTG 2.16.4) it seems that slight changes are required to make it
work with rrdcached in UNIX socket mode (and thresholding functionality is
lost - due to no support for updatev in rrdcached), and it does not work at
all with rrdcached in TCP socket mode (due primarily to having no support
for rrdcreate and rrdinfo in rrdcached).

If noone else is doing anything on this (I don't want to step on any toes)
I'll try to get a patch submitted for MRTG to make support for UNIX mode
smoother, and maybe also a patch for RRDs and rrdcached to allow a 'what
functions are available' function call that can be used.  This would be
expected to return a restricted list of commands if we're using rrdcached in
tcp mode.

Steve

  _____

Steve Shipway

steve at steveshipway.org

Routers2.cgi web frontend for MRTG/RRD; NagEventLog Nagios agent for Windows
Event Log monitoring; check_vmware plugin for VMWare monitoring in Nagios
and MRTG; and other Open Source projects.

Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/software