[mrtg-developers] More patches: Include and cfg file changes

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 22 02:15:25 CEST 2010

I'm on a roll this week... :)

More patches for MRTG in the pipeline -

1.       Add wildcard support to the Include: directive.   This is something I've wanted for years and been too lazy to submit the (small) patch required to make it work.  Routers2 already supports this :P

2.       In daemon mode, check for modifications to the cfg file, and if so, reload the configuration.  I'm still testing this one because it is potentially difficult, as MRTG makes a few assumptions that this won't happen.  I'm also using Tobi's trick of using -M rather than (time-stat()[9]) on the file age, and then $^T=time after the reload.

3.       Identify RRD 1.4.999 or later, and use the new rrdcached functions I added in the RRDTool patch if running in rrdcached/TCP mode.  This is the final hurdle to allow MRTG to run on a separate server from the RRDTool database, allowing a true distributed MRTG setup.  Some additional code now in place to prevent re-testing of remote RRD files when in rrdcached/TCP mode (as the -M test can no longer be used, of course).  Needs a bit more testing, though...

I'll be submitting these to Tobi once I'm happy they're stable.  In the meantime, I'd appreciate any feedback from the community.

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand