[mrtg-developers] Decentralised MRTG prototype working!

Steve Shipway steve at steveshipway.org
Thu Sep 23 04:26:06 CEST 2010

I've successfully managed to set up a fully decentralised MRTG/RRD/Routers2
system, using rrdcached and the patched versions of RRDTool 1.4.999, MRTG
2.16.4 and Routers2 v2.22beta1.  I've just done a successful test of the
Routers2 frontend to view a remote RRD file which is being updated remotely
for a third location.

This has the RRD databases, MRTG daemon, and Routers2 web frontend all on
separate servers, communicating via the rrdcached TCP protocol.

The exciting part of this is that, when/if the MRTG and RRDTool patches make
it into the release, it will be possible to expand an MRTG installation
horizontally without having to use handover between multiple frontends;
applications like Weathermap and SWFGauge will have all the RRD files
located together; and there is at last a standard generic interface for
remote RRD interaction.

I'll be demoing this at LISA10, although to be honest to the user nothing
looks different; all the changes are behind the scenes.

At the moment, none of these patches are released; I've passed to Tobi a
patch for MRTG to support rrdcached via unix-domain sockets, and a patch to
rrdtool-trunk for full feature support but it will take time before they
make it into the development snapshots and longer until they make it into
the release.  The changes to routers2 will be released in beta before LISA10
but v2.22 won't come out until there are sufficient changes and testing
(maybe after MRG 2.16.5?)

Anyone wanting to play with this for themselves please contact me and I'll
give you a copy of the patched MRTG and RRDTool sources, plus routers2
v2.22beta1

Steve

  _____

Steve Shipway

steve at steveshipway.org

Routers2.cgi web frontend for MRTG/RRD; NagEventLog Nagios agent for Windows
Event Log monitoring; check_vmware plugin for VMWare monitoring in Nagios
and MRTG; and other Open Source projects.

Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/software