[mrtg-developers] Please make ifref default to name

Leo Iannacone l3on at ubuntu.com
Fri May 25 16:14:34 CEST 2012

On 23 May 2012 17:34, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
> Hi Leo,

Hi Tobias!

> I agree, that matching by name is a good idea if your devices
> support that ...
>
> BUT ... changeing the default behaviour of cfgmaker is not
> something that I would do lightly, especially for something that
> has been like this for the last 17 years ... many users have
> scripts running launching cfgmaker automatically and they expect it
> to act in a certain way ...

Maybe it could make sense check in the code if "those scripts" still
use old value and print a "WARNING: Deprecated" string in case,
warning users about this change...

and after one or two release, move option to use name...

This is just a suggestion, nothing else. :)

Ciao!

Leo.

--
Ubuntu Member - http://launchpad.net/~l3on