[mrtg] Re: Files with extension .old

Alan J. Flavell flavell at a5.ph.gla.ac.uk
Mon Aug 2 18:44:11 MEST 1999

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Holger van Koll wrote:

> I am using mrtg to monitor (among other things) a dialup-link with a
> dynamically assigned ip-address.

I havent done that myself, but it sounds do-able.

> This is a bit tricky, as mrtg creates its gif-files and logfiles depending
> on the ip-address of the device.

Not really.  It creates them with a name that depends on what you put
inside the Target[name] brackets
                  ^^^^

> Can I change that to have a fix name?

Certainly.  You can code the *.cfg file any way that you like.

The cfgmaker script is just one way of making a *.cfg file.  You can
hand-code such a file, or you can write your own cfg-making script. At
the time the MRTG program runs, however, you will need to know which
IP address it should query.  But the name of the *.log and *.png/gif
files can stay the same, and this solves your confusion with the *.old
files.

good luck