[mrtg] 2 Options on MRTG - Confused?!

cpt2 at daimlerchrysler.com cpt2 at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 3 00:51:29 MEST 1999

Hi all,

I'm a little confused about 2 options.  Please ignore my stupidity here.

I don't understand what kMG and Kilo options do.  Do these 2 options
control only the diplay of the data?  i.e. Are they used to change the
suffix on what units are displayed?  Or do they actually do some
calculations.

I am asking because I am using the FTP and HTTP oids (bytes tx/rx) as
gauges to see how much data passes through these 2 services.  It is
increasing and I would like to change the display to Mega or Giga.  I
tried dividing the target (thus changing the byte count /1000 to
display Mbytes) but I think  I'm doing something wrong.

I'm thinking that this is the only way to get past the Maxbytes ceiling
on MRTG.  Am I wrong?

TIA,
Christian