[mrtg] Multiple mail messages - lock file?

Chris Caswell chris at ncren.net
Thu Aug 5 16:36:28 MEST 1999

All,
    I have been successfully running MRTG version 2.7.3 for about 2
months now on Digital Unix. The other night, I started receiving mail
messages every 5 minutes indicating a problem with the cron job. The
message read:

ERROR: I guess another mrtg is running. A lockfile
(/data/applications/MRTG/mrtg.cfg_l) aged
1 seconds is hanging around. If you are sure that no other mrtg
is running you can remove the lockfile

There is only one instance of MRTG, it polls only 4 interfaces (all
local) and when I run mrtg  from the command line it takes about 4
seconds. The lock file referred to never seems to be there, and data
appears to be updating.

Thanks for your help.

Chris Caswell
NCREN