[mrtg] Re: Can't make gd 1.3; libpng not found

alain.aube at hrdc-drhc.gc.ca alain.aube at hrdc-drhc.gc.ca
Thu Aug 12 18:56:16 MEST 1999

 <v04210116b3d64a69363-@[206.40.74.10]> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/mrtg/?start=7050
> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm stumped. I'm trying to
> install MRTG 2.8.6 on BSD. I already have 2.7.5 working fine. I've
> installed zlib and libpng, but when I ./configure gd 1.0.3 it fails
> with:
>
> checking for main in -lpng... no
> configure: error: libpng not found.
>
> Sounds like libpng ain't there, but it installed with no trouble. Can
> anyone shed light? Damn, I suck at Unix.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter Lalor           Infoasis
> plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/
>
> --

Hi,

  I had the same problem with my system I was doing a new install of
MRTG.  What I had to do.  I went to a great site : hpux.ee.ualberta.ca
and typed in PNG then zlib in the serch field, one at a time.  They
each lead you to different pages where you can download a .depot file
of the product.  I installed those and then it worked.

  If this fixes it great, otherwise, I have a little more to tell you
if you want.  I then had problems using ./configure for MRTG 2.8.3.  It
would constantly give me gdlib.a errors and the like.  So I noticed
that gd had put it's libraries in /usr/local/lib/*.  I first tried to
modify the Library path(for the entire system), but I couldn't find it.
 So I ran

cp /usr/local/lib/* /usr/local

I know the system looks in /usr/local and that fixed my problem I was
able to configure MRTG.  If you still can't get GD to configure, try
doing a more on the configure.in or deleting the config.cache file
everytime you change something and try ./configurre again.

Good luck , I hope this helps.  If you run into any more problems, drop
me an email I spent quite a while configuring MRTG, it was long, but I
learned a lot of stuff about the basics of it, maybe I ran into your
problem along the way.

Cheers,
Alain.