[mrtg] Re: Ascend Max, CPU usage and mrtg

Bob Dozier rwdozier at apex2000.net
Sun Aug 22 02:57:14 MEST 1999

I found this in some MRGT archives awhile back - works for our Max 40xx's
and 60xx's. Everything below the "####" line was pasted from a text file
of notes I had kept while looking for specific OIDs. HTH!  ..Bob

Something very important to us is our remote access system which is an
Ascend MAX 4004.  I took a look at the posted and contrib stuff for pulling
info from the Ascend and frankly it looked a little harder than it should be
so I spent some time figuring out how to pull the info from the Ascend w/out
having to run a script.

The values I found are:

AvailLanModem (1.3.6.1.4.1.529.15.1.0) The number of modems in the system
that are currently not in use.

&

BusyLanModem (1.3.6.1.4.1.529.15.9.0) The number of modems currently in use.

Or

CallCurrentAnalogIncoming (1.3.6.1.4.1.529.11.5) The number of currently
connected incoming analog (not ISDN) calls.

The last one may be specific to the MAX or the MAX 4004.  However the first
two are part of Ascend's LanModem MIB which I think is standard to all
Ascends.  Both allow you to simply poll the SNMP values into MRTG directly
w/out any shell scripting and extra cron/AT items.

Here is a copy of my MRTG config file for monitoring our Ascend MAX 4004.

#----------------------------------------------------------
Target[Ascend]: 1.3.6.1.4.1.529.11.5.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.529.15.1.0:public@<Ascend
IP or Hostname>
Title[Ascend]: Ascend - Modem Usage
PageTop[Ascend]: <H1>Ascend - Modem Usage </h1>
RouterUptime[Ascend]: public@<Ascend IP or Hostname>

# Number of modems in your current configuration.  Change this if you add
modems!
MaxBytes[Ascend]: <Total # of Modems>
AbsMax[Ascend]: <Total # of Modems>

Options[Ascend]: gauge
Unscaled[Ascend]: ymwd
ShortLegend[Ascend]: /
XSize[Ascend]: 380
YSize[Ascend]: 100
YLegend[Ascend]: Modem Usage
LegendI[Ascend]: &nbsp;Users Connected&nbsp;
LegendO[Ascend]: &nbsp;Modems Free&nbsp;
Legend1[Ascend]: Current Users Connected
Legend2[Ascend]: Current Modems Free
Legend3[Ascend]:
Legend4[Ascend]: