[mrtg] values in logfile

Meissner Sebastian-asm037 asm037 at europe.mot.com
Mon Aug 23 14:47:02 MEST 1999

Hi everybody!

I`m using an external program to pass the data to mrtg. The values aren`t
counters but gauges so I`m using the Options\gauge key. But when I compare
the data mrtg writes in the logfile (and shows in the graphs) with the
original ones, there are differences. I had a look in the logfile and
remarked that there are 5 columns. The first contains the time-counter and
the next four contain values. The two last of this four columns contain the
original values, and the two in the middle contain some similar values
(which are shown in the graph). Here an example:

935411465 156000 2762
935411465 156000 2762 156000 2762
935411164 12000 657 12000 657
935411100 45706 1062 170000 2557
935410800 168110 2506 170000 2557
935410500 152160 2343 161000 2431
935410200 135623 2495 183000 2721
935409900 179793 2728 183000 2750
935409600 169340 2767 170000 2828
935409300 152260 2617 167000 2828
935409000 111483 2003 153000 2490
935408700 170493 2565 235000 2845
935408400 306253 2877 569000 2997
935408100 513560 2967 569000 2997

Why mrtg changes my data in this way???
Here my cfg file:

Target[Moscow_outbound]: `cat c:\data\mrtg-web\ps2000\Moscow.txt`
MaxBytes[Moscow_outbound]: 900000
Options[Moscow_outbound]: gauge, growright, nopercent, unknaszero, noinfo
Title[Moscow_outbound]: PacketShaper Moscow Outbound Traffic Interface
PageTop[Moscow_outbound]: <H1>Traffic Analysis for PacketShaper Moscow
Outbound Interface (Traffic to Moscow) </H1>
 <TABLE>
   <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>Packetshaper</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Maintainer:</TD><TD>WAN-Group</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Interface:</TD><TD>PacketShaper Moscow Outbound Traffic
Interface</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>
   <TD>3 kBytes/s</TD></TR>
  </TABLE>

Another problem I have is that in some cases when the value of one variable
decreases very fast mrtg takes the last value of this variable (similar to
the situation when the value is higher then the MaxBytes-value). I tried the
Options\unknaszero key but it changes nothing.
Can anybody help me?

Sebastian Meißner