[mrtg] Re: Errors / Discards

Martin Ansdell-Smith mas at ansdell.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 17:28:38 MEST 1999

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Kevin Sheard wrote:

> I would also like this info. I have used
> 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.1&1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.20.1 for ifInErrors & ifOutErrors, but
> the results are incorrect. Errors are shown where the outer shows none.
>
> I have used MaxBytes = 1000 (1000 errors) and Options =
> growright,gauge,nopercent,integer
>
> This is on a Cisco AS5300. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Using gauge is probably not appropriate here. Gauge is right where the
value returned using SNMP is what you want to graph (e.g. a temperature)
but in this case the SNMP agent will return the total since the last reset
(or counter overflow) and what you are interested in is the difference
between this number and the number last time you read it.

There will be another issue if the error rate is under 1 per second. You
would need to consider graphing the rate as per minute or even per hour to
get anything significant shown on the graph.

Hope that helps.

Martin

> Thanks
>
> Kev
>
> Presciliano dos Santos Neto wrote:
>
> > What's the better way to monitor errors and discards on a generic NIC ?
> > Or better, wich OIDs should I use ?
> >
> > Presciliano
> >
> > --

Martin Ansdell-Smith