[mrtg] Re: Temperature monitoring

Martin Ansdell-Smith mas at ansdell.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 17:38:22 MEST 1999

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Kevin Sheard wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anyone have the OID for monitoring environmental status of Cisco kit? I'm
> particularly looking for temperature info.

Depends what the kit is. Some don't report temperature (eg 2500 and 4000
series routers), some just report temperature status (eg Catalyst 5000
series switches), others report the actual temperature in the box at one
or more test points, e.g.

ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX CiscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusEntry
    ACCESS not-accessible
    STATUS mandatory
    DESCRIPTION
        "An entry in the ambient temperature status table, representing
        the status of the associated testpoint maintained by the
        environmental monitor."
    INDEX { ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusIndex }
    ::= { ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusTable 1 }

ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX Gauge32
--  Units
--    degrees Celsius
    ACCESS read-only
    STATUS mandatory
    DESCRIPTION
        "The current measurement of the testpoint being instrumented."
    ::= { ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusEntry 3 }

i.e.  "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3" is found on 7000 routers, for example

The OID for the Catalyst switch is

CISCO-STACK-MIB.oid:"chassisTempAlarm"          "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.2.13"

and, whilst useful for a script that can check the status of the chassis,
psu's &c it is not very interesting to graph (this could provide history
but even that's more easily and cheaply done, IMHO, by using the syslog
features of the switch).

Martin

--
Martin Ansdell-Smith