[mrtg] Re: using external program for data gathering

Knut A. Syed Knut.Syed at nhh.no
Wed Aug 25 18:30:18 MEST 1999

"A. Karim" <karim at thehub.co.uk> writes:

> I want to monitor something which does not provide data via snmp,
> has anyone used some external program to do the data gathering. ? if
> so can you give me any tips? or direct me somehwere?

>From the documentation:

 * if you want to monitor something which does not provide data via
   snmp you can use some external program to do the data gathering.

   The external command must return 4 lines of output:

    Line 1      current state of the first variable, normally 'incoming
                bytes count'

    Line 2      current state of the second variable, normally 'outgoing
                bytes count'

    Line 3      string (in any human readable format), telling the
                uptime of the target.

    Line 4      string, telling the name of the target.

  Depending on the type of data your script returns you might want to
  use the 'gauge' or 'absolute' arguments for the *Options* keyword.

  Example:

  Target[ezwf]: `/usr/local/bin/df2mrtg /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0`

  Note the use of the backticks (`), not apostrophes (') around the
  command.

~kas