[mrtg] Re: about snmp

Boucher,Andre [CMC] Andre.Boucher at ec.gc.ca
Thu Aug 26 16:52:24 MEST 1999

Hi,

If this is a network problem, there could be more than just delay.  SNMP is
using UDP as the transport protocol.  This protocol is not reliable and
there is no guarantee that an SNMP request will ever get to the device you
want to probe (That's why we configure the retry timeout and the number of
retries).  If your SNMP requests pass thru many routers or the Internet,
there is a possiblity that your packets are being dropped.  Maybe because of
a too busy router which throttle the packets, or by a busy frame-relay
network which discard packets when the traffic is more important than the
CIR.  Dropped packet on an IP network is a normal behavior, unless the
number of dropped packet is very important.

If you have a dropped packet problem, what is important to look at, in the
ping output is the success rate and not just the round-trip delay.  If the
SNMP packet are not passing thru a router and you are directly connected to
the snmp device via a LAN, this explaination does not apply.

André.