[mrtg] Solaris SNMP

Neil Calvert ncalvert at cabletron.com
Tue Aug 31 23:07:19 MEST 1999

Hi all.

I'm looking into the possibility of using MRTG against a Solaris SNMP agent (the basic Solstice agent) and I was wondering if people are doing this already, and if so, what applications they've found it useful for? Currently I can see mrtg being able to graph SNMP stats, interface traffic, and so on, but I'd like to get more OS specific information like total CPU time vs. Idle time. The Sun mib lets you see cpu time as an instanced mib where every process on the system is listed. The problem with this of course is that it will be dynamically changing as processes are starting and stopping. Is there any way to 'alias' an executable name to a process, so you ask it to graph say 'application A CPU time' and it goes off and finds out what 'application A's processID is to get the mib value?

I'm guessing this is probably a script hack but if there are any sun mibs out there that may help I'd be grateful to hear of them.

Neil