[mrtg] Great idea for MRTG

Leonardo Rodrigues coelho at persogo.com.br
Tue Dec 7 12:43:38 MET 1999

	Dear Tobias,

	I was wondering how MRTG would run on a dual processor ( or even more )
Linux machine. And for my surprise, it seems to run the same way on a
single processor machine.

	Well, I know the 'hardest' part of MRTG is to run rateup for all targets,
because it's very CPU intensive AND disk intensive too. The fact is that
nowadays disks are fast enough to feed more than one rateup at the same
time, and multi processor machine are not very rare on servers environment.

	So, I was thinking on a new directive to MRTG on mrtg.cfg file, something like

processors: X

	So, when MRTG gathers the values, and start calling rateups, it would
launch X rateup processes at the same time, because the machine has X
processors, and kernel would get one rateup to each processor. This would
allow people to run more and more Targets on a single machine.

	Well, what do you think ? It this possible ? Is this interesting ?