[mrtg] Re: Great idea for MRTG

Tim Kennedy sugarat at thunderhold.sugarat.net
Tue Dec 7 17:26:05 MET 1999

MRTG will already do that.  MRTG, more particularly rateup is not
multithreaded, but if you run multiple instances of mrtg, then the OS
itself will cause both CPU's to be built.
That is a function of the OS, rather than the application, to maximize the
efficiency of resources. (No OS wars here, you hear?!)

I currently run 4630 Target definitions from a single server.  That server
is dual cpu with 384MB RAM.   From that fact that I run 6 MRTG processes
at a time, I know that both CPU's are being utilized thoroughly.  It's
actually probably too much for the box, but it still works.

Moving to use RRDTool as the backend has sped things up a bit, too.

-Tim

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:

> 	Dear Tobias,
>
> 	I was wondering how MRTG would run on a dual processor ( or even more )
> Linux machine. And for my surprise, it seems to run the same way on a
> single processor machine.
>
> 	Well, I know the 'hardest' part of MRTG is to run rateup for all targets,
> because it's very CPU intensive AND disk intensive too. The fact is that
> nowadays disks are fast enough to feed more than one rateup at the same
> time, and multi processor machine are not very rare on servers environment.
>
> 	So, I was thinking on a new directive to MRTG on mrtg.cfg file, something like
>
> processors: X
>
> 	So, when MRTG gathers the values, and start calling rateups, it would
> launch X rateup processes at the same time, because the machine has X
> processors, and kernel would get one rateup to each processor. This would
> allow people to run more and more Targets on a single machine.
>
> 	Well, what do you think ? It this possible ? Is this interesting ?
>
> --

Timothy Kennedy
sugarat.net, Network Management Resources
http://www.sugarat.net