[mrtg] A couple of newbie questions

Jeff Warnica jwarnica at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 9 18:17:42 MET 1999

First off, great package, Thanks to all the developers..

I have set up mrtg to graph the traffic on a couple of portmasters, and some
of the 24/7 lines on those. Also I modified one of the contributed scripts
slightly to graph logins to a unix box (one line for tty users and one for
pts so I can count telnet vs direct to its terminal server). These all work
great.

The problem Im having is with graphing the number of portmaster ports in
use. Im using the collection of scripts from
http://thingy.usu.edu/network-stats/portmaster.html (slightly modified the
text it outputs so it makes sense on our pm2er30). I have put these in there
own .cfg and they run fine from the command line, but dont run from cron.
(or dont work...)

The relevent crontab lines are

0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/local/mrtg/mrtg
/usr/local/mrtg/mrtg.cfg
1,6,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * * /usr/local/mrtg/mrtg
/usr/local/mrtg/pm_modem_usage.cfg

Both .cfg's call external programs located in the same directory. Any ideas
why this isnt working from cron?

Also, not realy a mrtg question, but is there a package that will collect
data in a format like mrtg but with continously growing logs? Or a mrtg
switch to make a continously growing log?

Thanks..