[mrtg] Re: Maxbytes for 1 meg serial?

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at TO.GD-ES.COM
Fri Dec 10 15:24:16 MET 1999

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Nick Bastin wrote:

> on 12/10/99 1:19 AM, Merton Campbell Crockett at mcc at TO.GD-ES.COM wrote:
>
> > Signaling speeds are decimal, i.e. 1 Mb is 1000000, 10 Mb is 10000000.  As a
> > result, a 10 Mb circuit (ethernet) should not exceed 125000 bytes/second.
> > Or, roughly 122.07 KB/second if you assume 1K equals 1024 bytes.
>
> Anywhere where this is noted?  Neither the IETF nor any standards or
> standards track RFCs will substantiate this.  I'm not saying it's not true;
> it's just the kind of brain dead thing that somebody would do, but I don't
> know who the official word would come from on this one.  I could call my
> telco people, but they're not exactly on top of things of an engineering
> nature.

The IETF is not the cognizant standards body.  You will not find any RFC or
standard developed by the IETF that addresses signalling over any media.

Telecommunications standards are developed by ISO/ITU, IEEE, ANSI, etc.

Merton Campbell Crockett