[mrtg] Starting/Stopping mrtg does funky stuff to archived data??

Dan Wentzel danw at bas.army.mil
Sat Dec 11 13:09:35 MET 1999

Hello all,

	I've been using mrtg 2.5.1 since June for about 30 interfaces and recently
had a file corruption occur.  Before figuring out what was wrong, the cron job got
commented out, so mrtg didn't collect anything for days.  When we restarted the
cron, mrtg behaved like it was being started for the first time (i.e. two sets of error
messages and then no more complaints..).  ONE of THREE different things happened
to ALL the logfiles:

1 - The data collected since June was still there and there were repeated values (i.e.
a flat line for the off-period).  The new data was added to the logfile for each 5 minute
firing of the cron and everything went along fine.  Everything BEFORE the cron was
disabled is still there - no lost data.

2 - The data collected since June was wiped out (everything set to zero in monthly
and yearly), but there was a flat line (repeated values) during the switch off period...
New data is added by the cron like normal.  Everything BEFORE the cron was
disabled is gone, but everything DURING the cron being disabled is still there (those
repeated values) - partial (well, more than partial) data lost.

3 - Everything is wiped out and the whole thing starts from scratch.  Everything BEFORE,
and DURING the cron being disabled is gone - total data loss.....

Is this because of the old version I'm running?  How long must the cron be off to cause
this?  Before the next firing of the cron?

Dan W.