[mrtg] Re: [mrtg]... code was 136

Tim Kennedy sugarat at thunderhold.sugarat.net
Sun Dec 12 23:35:13 MET 1999

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> > I have mrtg-2.8.8 and use it on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE.
> > I used cfgmaker for creating mrtg.cfg. I corrected some first lines, and
> > now my mrtg.cfg is:
> >
> > With this config file i get such lines
> >
> > PROBLEM: rateup died from Signal 8
> >  with Exit Value 0 when doing router 'cisco.kolasc.net.ru.4'
> >  code was 136, retcode was . If this happens all the time,
> >  you should probably investigate the cause. :-)
> >
> > ... /kernel: pid 447 (rateup), uid 0: exited on signal 8 (core dumped)
>
> First of all, try upgrading to mrtg-2.8.9; perhaps a bug has been fixed.
>
> The problem is in rateup; the config is standard; the targets are standard
> so my guess is that there is an incompatibility with the freeBSD libraries
> or header files.
>
> Perhaps you could recompile and watch closely to the warnings and errors
> reported?
>
> Any freeBSDers around who can help?

I had this same probelm alot.  Only recently.  Using FreeBSD 3.1-SMP, and
mrtg-2.5.4.   One of the problems, was that I was adding about 30
interfaces, and I got alot of floating point errors, as rateup, could not
seem to do the math.  The individual interfaces never had a problem.  Only
the aggregate.
Upgrading to mrtg-2.8.9, and using RRDTool and 14all.cgi has stopeed that
problem, and I don't have any problems with the graphs anymore.

I heard there was a bug in mrtg-2.8.8 and that might be your problem.
Upgrade and see if that fixes it.

Else, simulate the calls to rateup and run it under truss.  That should
show you where you are failing.

-Tim