[mrtg] Manually Editing Log Files

Scheidel, Greg Greg_Scheidel at ed.gov
Tue Dec 14 17:19:03 MET 1999

Can anyone out there provide more detail or hints on the *.log files,
specifically:

- What you might want to watch out for if you have to manually edit them?
- Exactly how the "incoming bytes counter" and "outgoing bytes counter" are
generated.  Again this is needed so that I can generate correct counter
values after manually editing the log files.

The reason for these questions is that our MRTG system has been continuously
monitoring interfaces by IF #s on several routers that have had the IF #s
changed due to router configuration changes.  I need to concatenate (the
data *before* the change from one log file) to (the data *after* the change
from another log file), making sure that the "incoming bytes counter" and
"outgoing bytes counter" are correct and that MRTG accepts the new log data.

Any assistance whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Greg S.