[mrtg] Re: running under other id's for CRONTAB

Tim Kennedy tkennedy at newsreal.com
Thu Dec 30 21:50:01 MET 1999

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Scheidel, Greg wrote:

> I'm not a UNIX guru by any means, but I believe that you could simply login
> as another user and execute 'crontab -e', which will bring up a crontab file
> specific to that user ID, and anything you put in will run under that user
> ID.

Actually, some systems will allow you to specify a user name for processes
in a single crontab file.  For example, Debian Linux uses such a system.

you may have a file called /etc/crontab.  it supports using a username
in a crontab file.  Apparently compiles from sources for crontab-3.0pl1,
available from src.doc.ic.ac.uk:/usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume27/vixie-cron.
You may check the documentation on your system to see that it is
supported.  Try /usr/doc/cron/.

Format is like:
--
SHELL=/bin/sh