[mrtg] Re: SNMP Errors

Bob Van Cleef vancleef at microunity.com
Mon Jul 5 18:05:24 MEST 1999

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Tim Kennedy wrote:

> I have seen this too.  I ignore it now, as it doesn't seem to truly be
> anything wrong.  Some of my cisco's are simply missing instances in the
> ifIndex tree.  I suppose it could be from hot swapped hardware, or just
> changed hardware in general, but the instances that actually have
> interfaces on them all work.  And I get the error no matter which snmpwalk
> or snmpget program I am using.
Hmmm... The Alantec powerhubs have no "hot swap" modules and these units
are other five years old, so there aren't any hardware changes going on.
Things are begining to settle down, possibly, as the number of times I see
this error are descreasing.  It is interesting that it appears to be the
same port all the time...

It doesn't hurt anything, but it does clutter up my system e-mail box.
Maybe I'll procmail them off to another folder.

Bob

> If you stuff works ok, and the error isn't causing problems, then it mayu
> just be a funky interface instance map.
>
> -Tim
>
> On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Butch Kemper wrote:
>
> > At 09:50 AM 7/3/99 , you wrote:
> >
> > >SNMP Error:
> > >Error decoding response PDU:
> > >   Expected sequence tag 48, got 2
> > >     %{%i%s%*{%i%i%i%{%@
> > >       ^
> > >SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "gw-8" [192.86.8.16].161
> > >                   community: "public"
> > >                  request ID: 931293120
> > >                 PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
> > >                     timeout: 2s
> > >                     retries: 5
> > >                     backoff: 1)
> >
> > I believe that this is a problem with MRTG or the SNMP module.  I get these
> > messages from PortMaster 2 & 3 units, Cisco Routers, Catalyst Switches, USR
> > TC Chassis, .... etc.
> >
> > I have asked once before on the list about this problem and got no
> > response.  But now with your report, I feel confident that the problem is
> > with MRTG or the SNMP software.
>
> Timothy Kennedy
> Hate.org -- What do you expect?
> http://gunslinger.hate.org

Bob Van Cleef, Member of Technical Staff         (408) 734-8100
MicroUnity Systems Engineering, Inc.         FAX (408) 734-8136
475 Potrero Ave., Sunnyvale, CA 94086   vancleef at microunity.com