[mrtg] Re: Typical New Question

Stieers, Ken KStieers at DainRauscher.com
Wed Jul 7 17:01:19 MEST 1999

Most routers have SNMP agents built in.  You may just need to enable it.

>Or does MRTG use the perl scripts to monitor my
> interfaces ?

It can if your router doesn't have SNMP or has a really crappy
implementation.  If you are using any of the big router manufacturers,
you'll be fine with their SNMP implementation.

>If
> so i think i obviously need to find the fbsd snmp package and get it
> installed.
>
> Once I have the snmp data coming in i should be on my way
> with what looks
> like a fantastic product.
>
> I had an idea last night as well, and wonder if any of the NT
> people out
> there would like to entertain it. I develop at work for the
> NT and some UNIX
> environments, at home i have a UNIX based network with some
> nt boxes. I was
> thinking how useful mrtg would be as a COM / ActiveX
> component. It could be
> called via asp / wsh / vb, (anything really) and have access
> to all the
> functionality that i see mrtg has.

I wouldn't waste your time with MRTG 2.x if you're looking for a project.
Look at RRDTool/Orca or RRDTool/Cricket.  Its basically MRTG 3.x.  You can
find it at
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/pub/