[mrtg] Re: Ethernet Port on Cisco

Utsav Ratti Utsav_Ratti at MCKINSEY.COM
Wed Jul 28 15:36:55 MEST 1999

If you find out the exact reason of your problem, please let me know.

I'm assuming that when you run cfgmaker, you are specifying the IP address
of the Cisco 2500 and not some machine that is getting it's IP address
dynamically?

Utsav

isaac at netos.com (Isaac) on 07/27/99 08:56:12 PM
To:   mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
cc:    (bcc: Utsav Ratti)
Subject:  [mrtg] Ethernet Port on Cisco

Hello,

We are running MRTG 2.5.3 on an NT 4.0 Box with SP3.

We are monitoring a Cisco 2500 running IOS 11.0

We are getting a weird message all of a sudden on the ethernet port on
our router.  It used to not say this but I had to rerun the cfgmaker
util and now we get this:

Traffic Analysis for Ethernet0

 System:
           Krakatoa in

 Maintainer:

 Interface:
           Ethernet0 (1)

 IP:
           No hostname defined for IP address (204.96.77.254)

 Max Speed:
           1250.0 kBytes/s (ethernetCsmacd)

The thing in question is this no hostname defined for  IP address
(204.96.77.254)

??? This is not the ethernet IP of eth0!  It is another IP.  What's even
*weirder* is that when I run the cfgmaker util the IP in hostname
defined for  IP address ( )
changes!  Now they are always parts of class C's we own and are in are
routing table but why the heck do they show up?

Thanks!

John