[mrtg] Re: cpu load

Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt glratt at is.rice.edu
Fri Jul 30 17:41:26 MEST 1999

The output looks something like:

 10:39am  up 7 day(s), 22:19,  7 users,  load average: 2.00, 1.99, 2.01
User     tty           login@  idle   JCPU   PCPU  what
glratt   console       9:13am  1:26      9         /bin/csh
glratt   pts/1         9:13am    59                /bin/csh
glratt   pts/5         9:27am  1:11                ssh foo
glratt   pts/3         9:13am           19         w

; man page follows.
User Commands                                                w(1)

NAME
     w - display information about currently logged-in users

SYNOPSIS
     w [ -hlsuw ] [ user ]

DESCRIPTION
     The w command displays a summary of the current activity  on
     the  system, including what each user is doing.  The heading
     line shows the current time, the length of time  the  system
     has been up, the number of users logged into the system, and
     the average number of jobs in the run queue over the last 1,
     5 and 15 minutes.

     The fields displayed are: the user's login name, the name of
     the  tty  the user is on, the time of day the user logged on
     (in hours:minutes), the idle time-that  is,  the  number  of
     minutes   since   the   user   last   typed   anything   (in
     hours:minutes), the CPU time used by all processes and their
     children on that terminal (in minutes:seconds), the CPU time
     used by the currently active processes (in minutes:seconds),
     and the name and arguments of the current process.

OPTIONS
     -h        Suppress the heading.

     -l        Produce a  long  form  of  output,  which  is  the
               default.

     -s        Produce a short form  of  output.   In  the  short
               form,  the  tty is abbreviated, the login time and
               CPU times are left off, as are  the  arguments  to
               commands.

     -u        Produces the heading line which shows the  current
               time,  the  length of time the system has been up,
               the number of users logged into  the  system,  and
               the  average  number of jobs in the run queue over
               the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes.

     -w        Produces a long form of output, which is also  the
               same as the default.

OPERANDS
     user      Name of a particular user for whom login  informa-
               tion  is  displayed.  If specified, output is res-
               tricted to that user.

EXAMPLES
     example% w
     10:54am  up 27 day(s), 57 mins,  1 user,  load average: 0.28, 0.26, 0.22
     User     tty          login@   idle    JCPU   PCPU   what

SunOS 5.6           Last change: 19 Jan 1996                    1

User Commands                                                w(1)

     ralph    console      7:10am      1   10:05   4:31   w

ENVIRONMENT
     See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment
     variables   that  affect  the  execution  of  w:   LC_CTYPE,
     LC_MESSAGES and LC_TIME.

FILES
     /var/adm/utmp       user and accounting information

ATTRIBUTES
     See attributes(5) for descriptions of the  following  attri-
     butes:

     __________________________________
    | ATTRIBUTE TYPE|  ATTRIBUTE VALUE|
    |__________________________________
    | Availability  |  SUNWcsu        |
    |_______________|_________________|

SEE ALSO
     ps(1), who(1), whodo(1M), utmp(4), attributes(5), environ(5)

NOTES
     The notion of  the  ``current  process''  is  unclear.   The
     current  algorithm  is  `the highest numbered process on the
     terminal that is not ignoring interrupts, or,  if  there  is
     none,  the  highest numbered process on the terminal'.  This
     fails, for example, in critical sections  of  programs  like
     the shell and editor, or when faulty programs running in the
     background fork and fail to  ignore  interrupts.   In  cases
     where no process can be found, w prints -.

     The CPU time is only an estimate, in particular, if  someone
     leaves  a  background process running after logging out, the
     person currently on that terminal is  ``charged''  with  the
     time.

     Background processes are not shown, even though they account
     for much of the load on the system.

     Sometimes processes, typically those in the background,  are
     printed  with  null  or garbaged arguments.  In these cases,
     the name of the command is printed in parentheses.

     w does not know about the conventions  for  detecting  back-
     ground  jobs.   It  will  sometimes  find  a  background job
     instead of the right one.

SunOS 5.6           Last change: 19 Jan 1996                    2