[mrtg] Ignore when interfaces move?

Peter Lalor plalor at infoasis.com
Tue Nov 2 16:53:21 MET 1999

Hi all,

I monitor a good number of Ascend/Lucent devices with many
interfaces. One of them in particular terminates a number of ATM
PVCs. My problem is that for various reasons the interface will move
to another number, for example when the far end resets. This means
that I'm forever getting messages like this from MRTG:

---

Warning: There is something wrong with Target '-1.1.1.1:community at router'

* Its ifDescr used to be 'wan513'
* Now it is 'wan549'

I will not update this graph for the moment. Maybe your Router has
changed the port to interface mapping. This can happen when new
Interfaces are added to the router or when it is rebooted.

You should alter your '/usr/local/mrtg/run/mrtg' file to fix the
mapping and then remove the offending lines from your
'/usr/local/mrtg/run/mrtg.ok' file. Mrtg will then assume that
everything is OK and create new entries representing
the new matching.

---

Is there any way to have MRTG just ignore these errors? It seems I'm
forever editing the mrtg.ok file.

Thanks.

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/