[mrtg] ATM monitoring....really big question about monitoring interface with multiple Vcl's

lfiddler at us.ibm.com lfiddler at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 5 01:29:49 MET 1999

NEVERMIND....FOUND IT!!!!!!

I guess my question is how do you monitor ATM interfaces with Vcl's?

One of my interfaces (2001) is polling bytes in/bytes out, but I am
wondering if I am polling the wrong information.  When I do a walk on that
interface I come up with several vcls.  I have the mib for CellsRx and
CellsTx for this interface, but when I do a VclStatRxCells walk I find that
this interface has mulitiple Vcl's.  What kind of OID do I specify in the
mrtg.cfg file.  I have a feeling the polling I am currently doing is
incorrect (CellsRx, CellsTx).

For instance, the OID for VclStatRxCells is
.1.3.6.1.4.1.800.2.9.1.12.1.1.7.2.1.0.846 (the 2.1 is supposed to be the
2001 interface I spoke of above).  So I am assuming the 0.846 is a Vcl.
Well, how do I combine them all and graph them or do I even want to do
that?  If that's the case, are the bytes in /bytes out that I am getting on
the 2001 interface incorrect because the Vcl's are not taken into
consideration.

The remainder of the interfaces on this particular ATM switch are not
graphing at all -- those interfaces are CSM.  Why aren't my CSM interfaces
graphing when I use the above OID with the port number tacked on the end.
I get an SNMP NoSuchName error.

Forgive me.. don't know much about ATM at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Lisa Fiddler
IBM Global Services
Network Measurements -- Commercial Internet Team
Raised Floor, Building 025
(Outside):  303-924-6290
(Tie/Line): 303-263-6290
Pager:        303-878-0157
Madness takes it's toll.... Please have exact change ready.