[mrtg] MRTG log files

Jason Mitchell jmitch at w-link.net
Fri Nov 5 20:58:28 MET 1999

Anyone know exactly what the log files that MRTG creates contains?  I've
determined that the left most column represents the interval in seconds
(usually incrementing by 300, which is 5 minutes), and the next four columns
represent the utilization at that interval.  But why four?  What do the four
tell you?  Why not 2 (one for in, one for out)?

Lastly, the first entry in the log file seems to represent total utilization
over a period, but I can't figure out what period that is and how to reset
it according to my needs.

Here is a snapshot of one of my log files (the top 7 lines):

941832004 3015055054 2405386633
941832004 188971 124099 188971 124099
941831705 174211 105228 174211 105228
941831700 174374 105060 186505 105228
941831400 186401 93478 186505 151412
941831100 178934 150622 188137 151412
941830800 188110 104375 188137 127679

Can anyone shed some light on what information exactly the log files
contain?

Thanks,
Jason