[mrtg] FOLLOWUP: Server statistics under Digital UNIX 4.0d

John Losey JOHLOS at HBSI.COM
Thu Nov 18 18:30:50 MET 1999

I thought that I had this set up properly to record my CPU usage, but I
think something is still wrong:

my mrtg.cfg:
Target[cpu2]: `/usr/opt/local/metrics/logwatch_vm.sh
/usr/opt/local/metrics/vm.csv`
MaxBytes[cpu2]: 64000
Title[cpu2]: CPU Usage
PageTop[cpu2]: <H1>CPU Usage for lil_blarob</h1>

The script /usr/opt/local/metrics/logwatch_vm.sh produces the output for the
cpu usage with:
!/usr/local/bin/perl
print "$cpu_val\n0\n\n"

When I look at cpu2.log:
lil_blarob:root# head /webdocs/mrtg/cpu2.log
942946212 3 0
942946212 0 0 0 0
942945913 0 0 0 0
942945900 0 0 0 0
942945600 0 0 0 0
942945300 0 0 0 0
942945000 0 0 0 0
942944700 0 0 0 0
942944400 0 0 0 0
942944100 0 0 0 0

The cpu usage value appears correctly in the top line, but these values
never get moved to other lines.  I've had mrtg being called every 5 minutes
by cron and while the top line always has the current cpu usage value, the
other lines remain "0 0 0 0".

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

John