[mrtg] using RRD Tool

Tim Kennedy sugarat at thunderhold.sugarat.net
Fri Nov 19 19:42:35 MET 1999

Hi folks.

2 things.

1.  I am in the process of trying to get mrtg working with rrdtool in the
back ground and use 14all.cgi to navigate from the web.  Unfortunately, I
cannot get the graphs to display properly.   They don't show up from the
web view, and when I click to "view image" I get an error message
involving '--alt-y-grid'.   Anybody seen this before?

2. I have seen a lot of other people asking about frame relay, so I hacked
together a cfgmaker that correctly maps out frame-relay interfaces, and
other sub-interfaces, and assigns different values to be graphed, namely
for frame: frInOctets and frOutOctets.  You could do the same with ATM
subs, but our version of IOS doesn't support the ATM mibs.  Seems to work
for the sub interfaces.   The one problem I haven't solved with it is with
interfaces that don't show up with an snmp instance.  the ifindex is
there, but there are no stats for it.  the instance is .11, but
ifinoctets.11 and such don't exist.   It's the host interface for a
channelized t-3, so it may have somethign to do with that.
I will work out a few minor bugs, and add some documentation and a README
and post the "cfgmaker-subint" over the weekend, and pos tto the list
where I put it.

-Tim

Timothy Kennedy
sugarat.net, Network Management Resources
http://www.sugarat.net