[mrtg] Ascend Pipeline 50, no SNMP response.

Brock Henry bhenry at shorelink.nsw.gov.au
Fri Sep 17 05:47:15 MEST 1999

Hi

I realise this is more a router problem than an MRTG problem, but hopefully
someone has a clue on how to fix my problem.

I am currently monitoring traffic successfully on two of my routers. (IBM
2210's)

I also wish to monitor traffic on a third ISDN router we have here, which is an
Ascend Pipeline 50.

I configured SNMP on the router, and confirmed it with "show udp listen", which
shows the following

********************
Socket  Local Port  InQLen
        *SNIP*
     3         161       0
     4         162       0
********************

which seems to say SNMP is listening patiently

but when I run mrtg on it, it says
********************
SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "203.my.router.ip" [203.my.router.ip].161
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 2070464597
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.12 ifOutOctets.12 sysUptime sysName ifDescr.12
on
 public at 203.my.router.ip
SNMPGET: Failed to reach target: "12:public at 203.my.router.ip". I tried multiple
imes!
********************

Curious as to why, I ran an nmap udp scan on it, and it listed every possible
UDP port, and says that they are all listening.

********************
Starting nmap V. 2.2-BETA4 by Fyodor (fyodor at dhp.com, www.insecure.org/nmap/)
Interesting ports on  (203.111.117.199):
Port    State       Protocol  Service
1       open        udp       tcpmux
2       open        udp       compressnet
                *SNIP*
161     open        udp       snmp
162     open        udp       snmptrap
                *SNIP*
10080   open        udp       amanda
17007   open        udp       isode-dua
18000   open        udp       biimenu
31337   open        udp       BackOrifice
47557   open        udp       dbbrowse
********************

Which is obviously bogus. Last time I checked BackOrifice wouldn't run on
ascend routers :)

I can telnet and ping the router from the machine running mrtg, so it aint a
network type problem. I heard somewhere that UDP is an unroutable protocol,
which could cause this problem. But UDP not being routable sounds like
horseradish to me.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have been working on this for
about a month now.

Brock Henry
Brock Henry - brockh at ozemail.com.au (H) - bhenry at shorelink.nsw.gov.au (W)

          I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life,
                 I received life, that I might enjoy all things.