[mrtg] Re: 100% CPU Utilization on an NT Server

David C Prall dcp at dcptech.com
Tue Sep 21 21:17:41 MEST 1999

> Has anyone seen the behavior displayed below, where an NT Server with
a single
> processor charts at 100% CPU utilization constantly.
>
> (Embedded image moved to file: pic23504.pcx)
>  Max Usage 100.0 CPU (100.0%)   Average Usage 100.0 CPU (100.0%)
Current Usage
> 100.0 CPU (100.0%)
>
> Jody

Yes, what is running on the NT Server. I've seen store.exe from Exchange
do this. I've seen the print spooler do this. I've seen administrators
install the distributed.net RC5/DES client as a service on their
servers. I've seen Setiathome installed on servers.

If you can actually use the machine it is most likely one of the last
two. If you are barely able to login to the machine it is most likely
one of the former.
David C Prall, MCNE MCSE          DCP Technologies
dcp at dcptech.com                       http://www.dcptech.com
dcppage at dcptech.com