[mrtg] Re: Threshold on NT?

Thomas Muggli - NSM mugglit at cscoe.ac.com
Mon Sep 27 17:42:17 MEST 1999

Well, I wrote the Threshold portions for MRTG.  It probably didn't
get as much testing as it should have, but it seems there are two
common problems people run into:

1) "ThreshDir" is a global parameter.  Since MRTG runs from a scheduler,
	and not a daemon, it needs a way to remember if thresholds were
	OK or broken during the last MRTG run.  It uses the ThreshDir
	directory to keep track of broken thresholds.  It should only
	be specified once per config file.  Like this:

	ThreshDir: /path/to/threshold/directory

2) Each "ThreshProg" program must be specified as a single command, since
	the code performs an "is this file executable?" check on it.  Perl
	expects a single filename for the check, so having two seperate
	filenames (the perl interpreter and perl code file) makes the check
	fail.  (It doesn't matter at all if you put quotes, backticks, etc.
	around it.)  It was written and tested using a Perl program on a
	Unix system -- where you can specify the interpreter to use on the
	first line of code:

	#!/usr/bin/perl

	Well, that type of specification doesn't work in NT, so your only
	choice is to call a batch file which then calls the Perl program.
	I'd encourage someone with an NT system and a little NT/Perl know-
	ledge to re-write the execuatability check.  (I don't have an NT
	system, otherwise I'd whip out a patch.)

So, for NT, you have to call a batch file.

Tom