[mrtg] gd-1.6.3 and libz

Andrew M TOWNSEND ATOWNSEND at doleta.gov
Tue Sep 28 17:28:04 MEST 1999

Hi everyone,

Please forgive me for a hopefully easy question.  I have checked the archives and did not see this discussed, so I hope someone can let me know what's going on.

I am trying to install the MRTG package on a Solaris 2.6 box and get a "libz- not found" error when trying to install gd-1.6.3.

I have installed the packages instructed by the MRTG web site (perl, zlib and libpng said they installed successfully) and gd is the last "piece" before I can try to install the MRTG software itself.

Does anyone know why I am receiving this error?

I am not a software developer or full-time installer so I am stumped and have not seen anything in the documentation or related web sites.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated,  I have cut and paste the results of the ./configure command at the end of this message.

Andy

+---8<---8<---
# ./configure
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) no
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for ranlib... (cached) :
checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/ccs/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) no
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/ccs/bin/nm -p
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix... (cached) no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
checking if the linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking whether the linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking command to parse /usr/ccs/bin/nm -p output... ok
checking for /usr/ccs/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... solaris2.6 ld.so
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking for main in -lz... no
configure: error: libz not found.