[mrtg] problem reporting on upgraded channelized port

Paul Wozney pwozney at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 8 12:36:15 MEST 2000

Hi,

  I've just increased the timeslots for a channelized port on an E1 circuit.
  The circuit is going into a Cisco AS5300.
  I found that when I increased the timeslots, the Cisco stopped wanting to
send out information on this port.  Now, admittedly, this is probably not an
MRTG problem, but I'm hoping that someone out there has come across this
same thing.

  I am pretty sure I haven't botched the configuration on the Cisco, because
the circuit is working, and the other circuits that always have been
working, are STILL working.  Just this one.

  cfgmaker doesn't see this port, even though it exists.  It will list the
other serial ports that come in front of this one, and then it's stops.  As
if Serial 0:12 wasn't there.  I ran it again, and again.  I restarted the
Cisco snmp server.  I tried copying the running config to the startup
config, writing it to nvram.  Quite mysterious.

Without any more rambling, here is what I can show you.  Maybe you can help.

Thanks,

Paul
pwozney at hotmail.com

Here's my crontab output:
  This is the only thing that's showing an error, all the other circuits in
this E1 are working properly.  Very mysterious.

Your "cron" job on hostname
cd /usr/local/bin;./mrtg 5300.cfg

produced the following output:

SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
  error status: noSuchName
  index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.19)
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "foo.bar.eee.ooo" [foo.bar.eee.ooo].161
                  community: "community"
                 request ID: idnumber
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.19 ifOutOctets.19 sysUptime sysName
ifDescr.19
on community at foo.bar.eee.ooo
SNMPGET: Failed to reach target: "19:community at foo.bar.eee.ooo". I tried
multiple
times!

Configuration file:
  I've only put in this info, because the rest of the config file actually
works.  Also, this circuit existed before, and reported correctly.  I have
changed the following on this circuit:
  1) MaxBytes
  2) Title (to reflect new speed - it looks like I forgot to edit the HTML
bits)

######
###### This has been commented out because something is wrong with
###### MRTG that it is not seeing this port
###### 8/4/2000 10:18 am
######
#
#Target[foo.bar.eee.ooo.19]: 19:community at foo.bar.eee.ooo
#MaxBytes[foo.bar.eee.ooo.19]: 64000
#Title[foo.bar.eee.ooo.19]: 512kbit to Somecity (): Serial0:12
#PageTop[foo.bar.eee.ooo.19]: <H1>Traffic Analysis for Serial0:12
# </H1>
# <TABLE>
#   <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>192kbit to Somecity </TD></TR>
#   <TR><TD>Maintainer:</TD><TD></TD></TR>
#   <TR><TD>Interface:</TD><TD>Serial0:12 (19) CircuitID</TD></TR>
#   <TR><TD>IP:</TD><TD> ()</TD></TR>
#   <TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>
#       <TD>24.0 kBytes/s (propPointToPointSerial)</TD></TR>
#  </TABLE>

>From my Cisco AS5300 configuration file:
  I didn't include the whole file, because the device is actually working,
and the other circuits report properly.
  There is no configuration difference between this port, and the other
channelized ports.  (other than the obvious, the timeslots and the serial
channel)

!
interface Serial0:12
description Somecity 512k CCT ID