[mrtg] high error count.

Marc-Adrian Napoli marcadrian at cia.com.au
Tue Apr 11 04:01:26 MEST 2000

hi all,

did a search through mrtg mailing list web thingi but didn't come up with
anything (does that search thing work properly?).

i have a router with an ethernet interfaces and two serial ports. one of the
serial ports is running over a DDS 2megabyte link (sydney, australia) and
i've just noticed a high error count while doing a walk on
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14

Just so you know, that's
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInErrors MIB
wise.

The first interface (ethernet1) has no errors. The second interfaces
(problem serial) gives me 15915711!!! and the third interface (serial two)
only gives me 181.

It is possible that there were errors on this interface a long time ago and
the counters have never cleared. I'm going to clear this value, but in the
meantime, does anyone know what could cause sugh a high number?

Regards,

Marc-Adrian Napoli
Connect Infobahn Australia
+61 2 9281 1750