[mrtg] MRTG and Grand Junction (Cisco Catalyst 1700) switches

Timothy J. Massey tmassey at modernmerchant.com
Wed Apr 12 20:43:33 MEST 2000

Hello!

I am new to MRTG.  I'm trying to get it to examine my switch and give
me utilization statistics.

I have installed Perl and MRTG.  I also ran the configure script and it
generated an mrtg.cfg just fine.

I can use that .cfg to get mrtg to generate HTML and GIF's and
everything.  Now, I'm trying to figure out what exactly I'm looking at.

The following command works:

Target[192.168.0.254.1]: 1:public at 192.168.0.254

>From reading the doc, it seems like that command is supposed to return
the statistics for the first port of the device.  That's all well and
good, but there's nothing attached to the first port.  I want to
monitor, say, the second port.

Supposedly, all I have to do is change the 1 to another number, right?
But if I change the 1 to any other number, I get a failure:

SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
  error status: noSuchName
  index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.2)
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "192.168.0.254" [192.168.0.254].161
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 1053477520
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.2 ifOutOctets.2 sysUptime sysName
ifDescr.2 on public at 192.168.0.254
SNMPGET: Failed to reach target: "2:public at 192.168.0.254". I tried
multiple times!

Obviously, the switch doesn't like using the 2 for the second port...

So, in going over the documentation for my switch (found at
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat1700/c1700/c17inb
nd.htm), it gives me an entire list of SNMP codes that I can use.
Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to make them work with MRTG.
Here's an example from the documentation:

swPortRxOctets (counter)

This MIB object returns a count of data and padding octets in frames
that are successfully
received. This does not include octets in frames received with
frame-too-long, FCS, length or
alignment errors, or frames lost due to an internal MAC sublayer error.

Of course, the string swPortRxOctets (counter) doesn't give me what I
need.  I need that string of dotted numbers.

How can I figure out what SNMP numeric codes my switch is listening for
and what they mean?  Is there anyone else out there with a Grand
Junction/Cisco 1700 switch that could tell me?

Thanks,

Tim Massey