[mrtg] Re: FW: Unused connections on Maxs

"Helmert, Jörg" Joerg.Helmert at Computer-Partner.DE
Fri Apr 14 09:35:41 MEST 2000

Hi Mario,

mi first name is Joerg, but this doesn't really hurt me ;-)

Adding a MIB means making mrtg able to use the text version
(.iso.dod.org....)
of an OID. But its enough to put the numeric version in a target definition.

An approach I used was to take a cfg from the list and modify this.
Was easy because it had already the correct syntax in it...

But you arent't far away from the correct syntax...

look at this:

Target[<routername>-callstatistics]:
1.3.6.1.4.1.529.11.5.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.529.11.7.0:<community>@<routername>

(line wrapped for email only! put it in one line!)

You see: no leading dot. mrtg starts at the root of the MIB-tree. Therefore
no need to tell it to start at root (this normally is done by a leading dot)

You see: a "0" at the end of the oid. You need to specify an instance. In
case of in interface this is clear: 7 interfaces mean 7 instances, mostly
from 1 to 7. But you want to read an OID providing a single value. Cause
by design you always have to specify an OID in this case the instance number
"0" is used.

You see: two OIDs separated by a "&". mrtg is designed to graph two values.
default inoctets and outoctets. If you wan't to graph a single value, you
have
to specify it twice. mrtg will plot a blue line ontop a green so you get one
graph.

hope this helped and everything is right (not much time to verify),

bye,

 Joerg Helmert