[mrtg] bandwith utilization

Paul Nelson pnelson at biblio.org
Fri Apr 14 17:13:05 MEST 2000

Ok, I'm merely a lowly tech support guy, but I have been using mrtg to monitor our network.  My supervisor uses a commercial product called cybergage.  My question is about the way bandwith is utilized.  Mrtg of course plots the in and out traffic separately.  My super is using his product, but chooses to graph as the total of in and out.  My understanding of of bandwith in a frame relay environment was that it was full/duplex, and that adding the in/out traffic does not give you total circuit utilization.  Is this correct?  Is one way of monitoring better than the other?  At what percentages should sites considering upping their circuit?

Thanks for the info,

Paul Nelson
pnelson at lioninc.org
Libraries Online Inc.