[mrtg] errors monitoring

nicolas.pigeau at paribas.com nicolas.pigeau at paribas.com
Thu Apr 27 20:11:38 MEST 2000

Hello,

As many of you, We are using MRTG here to monitor traffic on leased lines and it
works perfectly.
But we would like to use it to monitor errors on interfaces, and here, things
are getting more difficult.

To get the good data from the routers is not the problem, we are using the good
OID, and MRTG is getting them (I checked using the debug mode of MRTG).

The problem is to display them.
Apparently MRTG keeps on wanting to do the difference between the parameter he
gets with the last one, which is good (the data are counters), but also divide
that by the time between two collects, which is also good for traffic monitoring
(bit/s) but is quite bad for errors monitoring (the number of errors during 5 mn
divided by 3600 seconds makes quite few errors/s, hopefuly less than one, and
here is the problem.).

I tried to use the "step" parameter, but it doesn't work fine.

Anyone doing error monitoring could help me on that ?

Thanks&best regards,

Nicolas

ps: sorry if this question was yet asked on newsgroup, but I don't have access
to them.

This message is confidential; its contents do not constitute a
commitment by BNP Paribas Group* except where provided
for in a written agreement between you and BNP Paribas Group*.
Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either
whole or partial, is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient of the message, please notify the sender immediately.
*BNP Paribas Group  is a trading name of BNP SA and Paribas SA

Ce message est confidentiel; son contenu ne represente en
aucun cas un engagement de la part du groupe BNP Paribas*
sous reserve de tout accord conclu par ecrit entre vous et le
groupe BNP Paribas*. Toute publication, utilisation ou diffusion,
meme partielle, doit etre autorisee prealablement. Si vous n'etes
pas destinataire de ce message, merci d'en avertir immediatement
l'expediteur.
*Le groupe BNP Paribas est le nom commercial utilise par BNP SA et Paribas SA