[mrtg] Re: Multiple IF question

Shawn Barnhart swb at cmenoc.campbell-mithun.com
Fri Aug 11 22:04:47 MEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "S. William Schulz" <sws at astrum.com>

| 1)  Will pointing cfgmaker at the main IP for each box show all the
| traffic?  Is there a way/need to break it down by IP?

This is probably a better question for the snmp daemon you're running --
does it support aliased interfaces or only physical interfaces?  What
happens when you snmpwalk the device?  If you're using ucd-snmp try
walking the enterprises.ucdavis MIB to see if it shows any more detail.
The UCD daemon is pretty flexible, and you might be able to kludge
together a shell script that will let ucd-snmp return the value(s)
you're looking for.

| 2)  What is the proper way to build the .cfg file?  I'm using
2.9.0pre15
| and generate the .cfg file by using:

[snip]

| Should I run cfgmaker once for each machine and then merge the files?
If
| so, should I enumerate the IPs for each box when creating that .cfg
file
| (comm at box_ip1 comm at box_ip2 ...)?

I always generate a per-box config file.  In fact, I only generate
per-box config files.  My periodic script that runs mrtg actually
concats all the files in my mrtg/config directortory with the "header"
that specifies global directives, and then runs mrtg against this file.
It makes adding targets to the management machine much easier.