[mrtg] mrtg polling more frequently than 5 minutes?

Roisman, Dani DRoisman at station.sony.com
Tue Aug 15 07:00:02 MEST 2000

Hello,

First of all, I must admit that I have not read through all the posts,
looking for an answer to this question.  But I did buy Tobi a CD a few
months back, so that should get me 1 free repetious question, right?

I've been using mrtg for a couple of years now, and I just recently hit over
110Mbit/s on some of my network interfaces.  I've come to learn first-hand
the problems counting 32-bit snmp counters only every 5 minutes when dealing
with this kind of bandwidth - counter rollover.

I'm not big on running the beta code for my main monitoring software, so I
can't use snmpv2.  What I'd really like is to be able to poll my interfaces
every 2 minutes.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't hack up mrtg to allow me to do so?

The docs claim that you can put a lower number than "5" for the Interval
value, but when I put 2 in, mrtg complains that I must put a value of at
least 5.

Thanks in advance for your answers, and I'm sorry if I'm repeating a
question that was probably on this forum 100 times, and haven't read through
all the archives.

----
Dani Roisman
droisman at station.sony.com