[mrtg] Re: mrtg and cisco cwsi

Michael Votaw mvotaw at telepath.com
Tue Aug 15 10:50:19 MEST 2000

What time interval is CWSI polling and reporting at?  If it is the same as
MRTG, then you might want to make sure they are both pointing at the same
OID.  If MRTG is polling every 5 minutes and CWSI is polling every 60
seconds, then the little "peaks" you would see with CWSI will be averaged
when looking at MRTG for that same time interval.

I really don't think that the ifOctet count is being reset when CWSI reads
it, but I don't know for sure.  One way to know that is to use GETIF and
watch the ifInOctets and ifOutOctets and just see if the value drops.  My
suspicion is that it is not being reset.  Each time MRTG or CWSI wants to
know the data rate for the last few minutes/seconds they read ifInOctets,
IfOutOctets and find the difference since the last read and do the division
by time, then report the data to you.  Since you can't guarantee the reads
will occur at precisely the same time between the two products, the
performance numbers will likely never be exactly the same, but they should
be pretty close.