[mrtg] Re: Any RRDTool expert here?

Rainer Bawidamann Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
Tue Aug 22 11:15:53 MEST 2000

In article <NDBBKDNHNKGHFLBCPJNKMEFCFPAA.jzabicki at equifax.ca>,
	jzabicki at equifax.ca ("Jacek Zabicki") writes:

> Hello,
> I plan to upgrade to rrdtool. I have some questions before the move:
> 1. What front-end to use?
> 2. Can I monitor any snmp value?
> 3. Can I easily integrate external shell scripts that collect data?
> 4. Can I define thresholds and trigger any script when it is crossed?

rrdtool does not replace mrtg but rateup only (the "backend" of mrtg).
rrdtool can log data and draw graphs. Collecting data (e.g. via SNMP or
external scripts) or checking thresholds is not done by rrdtool, you
need another program to do this. E.g. mrtg ;-)

I.e.: mrtg can use rrdtool as it's backend. Read about "UseRRDTool"
(mrtg 2.8.*) or "logformat: rrdtool" (mrtg 2.9.*) on the mrtg
documentation. You will have to use a third program to create web pages,
e.g. contrib/14all or contrib/routers (from mrtg-2.9.* or it's website
http://ukpavu99.adsweu.com/pub/).

Look at the rrdtool website to find other frontends.

Rainer